ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Friday, November 30, 2007

IMPROVISE! How to work with what ingredients we have in CR (especially when you're craving something!!)

Costa Rica isn’t the States & we can’t get everything we CRAVE or miss, but my philosophy – don’t sit back & kvetch & moan (unless they’re GOOD moans!!) – IMPROVISE!!

This is going to be a post where WE share the ways we improvise so we’re not depriving ourselves!! Please submit your goodies to Vicki at LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

This is NOT limited to just food! Are there any HOUSEHOLD HINTS you’d like to share??


The things I improvise on the MOST are with ICE CREAMS!!

So what’s a gal to do without her Ben & Jerry’s Chunky Monkey?
I toast some walnuts (we all like it different so do it to YOUR taste. I toast it at 350º) & let them cool. In a separate bowl, mush up some REALLY RIPE bananas, add the walnuts & chunks of chocolate (I like semi-sweet but you do whatever YOU like) & fold them in to the soften store bought vanilla ice cream & freeze!

My FAV!!! Peppermint Stick Ice Cream - Melt down a bunch of candy canes in a little water, chunk up a few more for texture & after the candy cane syrup has cooled down a bit (you don’t want it to cool down too much as it hardens) fold into vanilla ice cream. (I buy a BUNCH of candy canes around Christmas time to last me throughout the year)

Rocky Road - You can use Hershey’s style syrup, but I LOVE the organic chocolate I get from Gary (see below). Cut up & toast almonds & let them cool. Fold them into regular store bought vanilla ice cream (I’m not into marshmallows – especially because the CR ones tend to be flavored but if you are, you can cut up some marshmallows).

Tropical Pleasure!! For this I use dehydrated or fresh mango, pineapple, papaya, toast some macadamia nut & shredded coconut & fold into vanilla ice cream (though this I mainly use with almond milk & make it myself).

Special Treat – Cut up & toast almonds & fold into vanilla ice cream. I put it in a nice decorative glass & then pour Amaretto over it – YUMMMM (be careful though as it could knock you on your tush!!).


NOTE: Lactose Intolerant like me – Dos Pinos makes Delactomy (99% lactose free). OR – instead of ice cream, make your own with Soya, Almond or Vanilla Milk! For this you need an ice cream maker so have someone bring you one from the States (BUT do NOT get one where you need to add Rock Salt as I don’t know if that can be found in CR). I have a DeLonghi & it’s FAB & SOOOO EASY!!


CHOCOLATE: I LOVE the Organic chocolate slabs (some of the BEST I’ve EVER tasted!!!) I get from Gary with http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CostaRicaChocaholics / costaricachocoholics@yahoo.com / 308-1127 (though I think Big Mike has some for sale - calchef2002@yahoo.com / 289-6087).


NUTS: BY FAR PriceSmart has the cheapest prices on nuts that I’ve found!!



YEAHHHHH!!! Euphy saw my psuedo Ben & Jerry's post on http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CostaRicaLiving and emailed me this link of knock-off Ben & Jerry's recipes - http://hubpages.com/hub/Ben-and-Jerrys-Ice-Cream-Copycat-Recipes!!!! YUMMMM!!! I'm going to HAVE to try MANY of them!!! ENJOY!!! THANX Euphy!!!



Do you have any other hints on where to find things????

No comments: