ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Saturday, March 30, 2013

WATER OUTAGES - How to be Prepared for when the WATER gets SHUT OFF • OUTAGES • TURNED OFF • GOING OUT in Costa Rica - HINTS

Costa Rica is such a "GIFT" to us to remind us of the "Don't put off for tomorrow what you can do THIS SECOND" quote since it's not unusual for the Water and/or Electricity TO go off SUDDENLY for HOURS with NO notice (heck - you never know when the next big earthquake is going to hit here!).

I think one of the KEY WORDS about living in Costa Rica with more EASE and less "Victimhood" is -


BE PREPARED!!!!!!!



WATER GOING OUT


BATHROOM:
When I had the guest house I learned to be prepared at ALL times so I had a BIG 5 gallon bottle (of tap water) PLUS a 1 or 2 liter bottle that I kept under the bathroom sink (or I'd pull it out to next to the toilet in times of need/use) for whatever purpose I needed it for
•  If the water went out - I'd pull out the 5 gallon bottle and put it next to the toilet and I bring in a smaller/medium pot with a handle to use for scooping water out for the "When it's Brown - flush it down" times (vs the "When it's Yellow - be Mellow" [do you get that concept??  I've had many friends not hear of that before - meaning - if it's just pee/urine - to show your love for Mother Earth - you do NOT flush every time - BUT - when it's "brown" - poop - flush [it down])..
•  I have it if I need a quick wash of the bod.
•  I put the 1-2 liter bottles on the sink for brushing my teeth, face and hands.
•  Get the Baby “Wipes” out for emergencies.d
•  I also had bottles of hand anti-bacterial gel I'd pull out and put by the sinks for those times!!!


KITCHEN:
•  In the Kitchen I had one of those 3 gallon bottles I'd put on the counter by the sink and put a big container in the sink to soak dirty dishes, etc. to wash later. 
•  I always had two 5 gallon bottles for "just in case" - one had good drinkable water (and I changed that every few months - just in case) and one that had tap water that I used for whatever I needed.
•  Set aside a tub of water to have by the kitchen sink to do dishes
•  I also had bottles of hand anti-bacterial gel I'd pull out and put by the sinks for those times!!!


MISC:
•  No washing clothes that the day (and after the water goes back on, it may be a few hours/the next day before you have full pressure since everyone else will be trying to catch up!!

•  Make sure to have water set out for your animals!

•  Be forewarned that this will effect your housekeepers job (especially if she's the type that mops the floors 3-4+ times a day) and your plans for the day - especially any plans for eating out in those areas!!

Having things ready for sudden outages/emergencies sure helped me keep calm when it happened (and it DID QUITE a few times!!  ESPECIALLY during Dry Season when we had some variation of Water Rationing/Droughts going on) as I was PREPARED - EVEN the day I had a workshop with over 40 attendees for 4 hours!!



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


ELECTRICITY OUTAGES
Be Prepared with what to do when the ELECTRICITY GOES OUT in Costa Rica (& it DOES!!) - HINTS

LivingLifeInCostaRica.info/2013/07/ElectricityGoingOut.html


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

EARTHQUAKE RESOURCES

in Costa Rica!!!!  LOTS of resources & hints!!!
LivingLifeInCostaRica.info/2012/09/earthquakes-costa-rica.html

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


What do YOU DO to be
Prepared for loss of Electricity or Water -
or to Show YOUR Love for Mother Earth???

Please "Share" your hints/thoughts/experiences on what does/does not work for you in the "Comments" below AND email me at LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com so I can add it to this article!!


.

No comments: