ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Saturday, December 28, 2013

MY Experience Updating My Bank Information in Costa Rica

 

I went to Banco Nacional today (Friday - December 27, 2013) to find out the actual SCOOP on what I needed to get my bank account up-to-date so they wouldn't close it the beginning of the year 2014. 



I spoke with a branch manager so I could get FACTS (we'll his version of them) thinking I'd need to come back with all the stuff people were saying was needed but since I don't keep much $$ in my bank account in Costa Rica, I was done in 30 minutes!!!



First off, this is per this story -


So how it worked for ME/people in MY category - people that don't have much $$ in their bank accounts in Costa Rica (and of course, this IS Costa Rica so you may have a TOTALLY different experience) was:



If you have LESS than $1,000 a MONTH in ALL your COMBINED accountS - you do NOT NOT NOT need to spend the $40-$80+ to get a Financial Declaration from a CPA!!!



ALL I needed was my ORIGINAL passport and my last 6 months bank statement from my U.S. bank and I verbally told him where my $$ was coming from (since it's not made in Costa Rica), updated my email address and phone number and signed some form (oops - I just realized I didn't read it - oh well!!  I guess that was that "Know Your Customer" form. Hopefully I didn't sign my $35 in the account away!).



That means if you have OVER $1,000 a MONTH - COMBINED in ALL of your accounts you WILL NEED to bring PROOF of where your $$$ comes from.  Now this part is conflicting as I've seen that only people with bank accounts in a corporations name MUST get the CPA "letter" but MY understanding of what he said sounded like if your $$ source was not so clear cut as say Social Security, etc. then you must get that CPA letter (basically proving you're not a money laundering, drug dealing, terrorist like we seem to all be treated like these days)!

ALL people with bank accounts in Costa Rica NEED to at least UPDATE their bank information - Tico's as well as ExPats!!

WHEN DO I NEED TO COMPLETE THIS BY?
We're SUPPOSED to do it BY years end (2013) - which for Banco Nacional is MONDAY - December 30 as they'll be closed on December 31 and January 1, 2014.




Now, what actually happens after that (meaning will they actually start closing people's accounts that have not complied with this new rule and if so, WHEN??) is anyone's guess BUT - I took it SERIOUSLY after having some accounts (that I wasn't really using anyways) closed down because I didn't want to spend the $$ to get that similar statement from a CPA a couple years ago when they first did this, plus I got a colon account closed down for 90 days of inactivity and I didn't want to spend that $ for a CPA's letter.



Do what ya want with this info - this was just MY experience today (and a friend that went with me) and I'm stickin' to it!!!





.


No comments: