ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

HINTS to help CALM your Pets Fear of Sudden Noises like FIREWORKS & THUNDER


The FIREWORKS around New Years Eve • Christmas Eve • Independence Day and the THUNDER of Rainy Season - are all VERY HARD times for many pets that don't understand what the sudden jolting noise happening around them is.

Below I share some techniques I've discovered on how to help your babies through this VERY TRYING time for many!!!  As I learn new tricks, I'll add them to it so if this is an issue for your dog or cat, you might want to Bookmark it and "Share" it with your friends that have this issue!!!

My first experience with an animal absolutely FLIPPING OUT was when I was Pet Sitting sweet Chia (RIP babe!!) - a 13 year old girl that literally, went into a PANIC like I've never seen!!  She went into a corner, eyes literally bulging out, growling at me like she was ready to attack me and all along she rarely left my side - even at night she loved me so much.  I was afraid she'd have a heart attack!!  Not having seen this type of reaction before I started doing some instinctual things with her and as SOON as I got her calmed down, I went on a bunch of the Facebook pet pages (the main/largest was facebook.com/groups/PetsYMas) to ask people hints they knew about plus began doing my own research. 

Now I SPECIALIZE in helping pets that are petrified from the sudden noises from Fireworks and Thunder which are a BIG ISSUE in Costa Rica at times (MANY Tico's DO LOVE their Fuego Artificials•Fireworks don't they?!?!)!!!


Vicki's HINTS to help 
CALM your pet 
during times of sudden loud noises like
FIREWORKS
and
THUNDER


BASIC TECHNIQUES:

Vicki's Basic HINTS to HELP CALM PETS with
Fears of FIREWORKS and THUNDER

•  Close ALL curtains and turn ON ALL lights

•  Turn the tv or music on LOUD (ideally with voices).  If the tv, have them face the screen (to try to distract their attention).


•  Take a drop of therapeutic grade LAVENDER OIL and rub between your 2 hands, then rub on the bottoms of their paws, in their ears and the excess on the top of their front paws (since they'll probably be resting their head/nose on them).  I ONLY use doTerra's oils these days as it's one of the MOST PURE (hence you don't need much)
(found at ThinkDoTerra.com/SarongGoddess)

•  Wrap their blanket (or if you are not with them, something with your scent) TIGHTLY around them - SWADDLING them like a baby.
•  Give them a few drops of RESCUE REMEDY in their mouth

and just HOLD THEM TIGHT*
(ideally close to your heart so they can catch the calming beat of your heart)
*See the "THUNDERSHIRT" below on ideas to enhance this step!!!


•  After the fireworks or thunder are over, while still holding them, if I haven't already done it, I switch over to more calming music (my preference is New Age or Native American - but whatever brings YOU more peace!!).  I hold them (or lay next to them with at least an arm or hand on them) for awhile afterwards so they still feel the connection.


This was Casper who just less than 10 minutes before I started sharing my Special Energy with him, was REALLY FREAKING OUT from the Thunder that was literally crashing down around us up in the mountains of Heredia - at about 5,000 feet!!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@


WHY DO SOME PETS REACT SO STRONGLY TO FIREWORKS AND THUNDER?

Did you know that - depending on the animal - dogs ears can hear up to 4 times louder than we do??  Humans can hear frequencies between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz while dogs can hear sounds between 50 Hz and 45,000 to 60,000 Hz (depending on the breed).
Added to sudden sounds that usually come out of nowhere for them - sounds that they're not used to - no wonder some react by freaking out or running away!!!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@


TOOLS TO HELP:
I'll DEFINITELY be enhancing this section BIG TIME but in the meantime, I have CONSISTENTLY heard AMAZING things about the
 *THUNDERSHIRT
I'm going to be looking around to see


@@@@@@@@@@@@@


WHAT IF I CAN'T BE WITH THEM DURING THIS TIME?  WHAT CAN I DO?

#1  -  Find someone to stay with them that KNOWS how to handle this situation and can calmly help them through it.  Dedicating their WHOLE time to assisting them - like a
PET SITTER!!!

#2  -  Follow the various methods coming below, PLUS get them a *ThunderShirt!!


Create or find them a closed in SAFE ENCLOSED SHELTERED SPACE for them to burrow in - ideally INSIDE your home!

Have plenty of WATER on hand (I'd even try a few days before slipping a couple drops of therapeutic grade lavender oil to see if they would drink it. Add slightly a bit more each day till you see them really calming!!




MORE hints coming here throughout the day!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@


NOTE:
I'm going to be adding some other techniques and tools that help so please "Bookmark" this page to keep checking back!!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Your pets give YOU LOTS of LOVE - si?
If they freak out from the sudden noises of fireworks and thunder,
PLEASE consider giving them that back ESPECIALLY THIS time of the year!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


PLEASE "Share" this link to help all the pets out there that WILL be freaking out during these times!!  Help them have some more CALM in their lives - ESPECIALLY if you can not be with them to help them through it!!!
.

No comments: