Here's some REALLY HELPFUL Info for pet owners in Costa Rica!!
Did you know that the Colegio de Médicos Veterinarios de Costa Rica (Costa Rica's Veterinary College) publishes an updated list of
“RECOMMENDED Rates” for most veterinary procedures.
These are ONLY RECOMMENDATIONS and the vets can charge as much as they want. It is up to you to check the list and decide if we want to pay a 20%, 50% or 100% mark-up.
WHY ARE SOME VETERINARIANS RATES HIGHER?Are your vets prices higher than the suggested amount? These could be some things he/she does•services they provide that your “average” vet that would charge the lower prices does not provide - so don’t assume they’re trying to rip you off:
• Has your vet has taken the time to learn English?
• Does your vet keeps up on what’s happening, new techniques, etc.?
• Does your vet has more modern offices•equipment?
• Does your vet provides good Customer Service? (there’s a HUGE increased value in that!!!)
• Is your vet located in a higher rent district (vs in an hold building/house that was paid off AGES ago)?
• Does your vet offer lots of different services like helping?
• Has your vet been available to you whenever you needed it in an emergency - ANY hour?
• Is your vets office simple•basic and small - vs the opposite?
• Does your vet have other people working for them (that they HAVE to pay the salary to, CAJA, INS, alganado, vacation time and all that goes into having an employee)?
• Does your vet come to you if you need it?
ALL of these things listed have a VALUE and SHOULD contribute towards you paying a higher price. You just want someone to come in and do what they have to and in Spanish and you don’t need anything special for your animal - they a basic vet may be all you need.
But if you see your pet as like a family member - aren’t they worth possibly paying a bit more? I’ll bet it is WAYYYY CHEAPER in Costa Rica than wherever you came from!!!
I don’t get how MANY people automatically accuse businesses•people in Costa Rica of ripping them off without taking these type of things into consideration.
Post a Comment