I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:


• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Thursday, March 27, 2014

VISA RUNS - TAKING YOUR CAR ACROSS THE BORDER - What all is Needed • How to get an Exit Visa for your car in Costa Rica

    by Ivo Henfling for the Easy Times 

Why would you need an exit visa for your car in Costa Rica? When you retire in Costa Rica (and even when you just move here) it would be a sin not getting to know the country and even part of Central America. There is so much to see and to learn and Central American is an interesting area with a very different culture than what you are used to. Some of you might live here as a perpetual tourist and need to leave Costa Rica to renew your tourist visa every three months for 72 hours.

Flying to Managua or Panama City is quite expensive and why not drive if you have your own car? Well, in the United States you can cross State lines with your own car without problems and in Europe you can go across borders everywhere and nobody will ask if the car is yours or not. But not in Costa Rica!!

If the car is registered in your name or owned by a corporation that is yours, you will need permission for the vehicle to cross the border. What are the requirements to allow the vehicle to leave the country?

These requirements can be found in Spanish on the website of the National Register or you can download the English version here - BorderExitRequestforVehicles.pdf - together with the Spanish version from our website as a courtesy of the American European Real Estate Group.

Below you will find the translation as the requirements are shown in April 2013. Make sure pricing below is up to date as well as the required documents, as these can change at any time.

The departure or border exit request must be in writing by typewriter or computer, or by filling out the form for this purpose legibly, without smudging, deletions or interlinear insertions, as well as fulfilling all the requirements, as applicable. Present all the documentation at the correct counter at the National Register in Zapote or any of the regional offices - rnpdigital.com/oficinas_regionales/index.htm - , with the identification documents of the person performing the procedure.

The attendant at the counter will check all the application information with the information in the registers as well as the documentation brought by the applicant, verifying compliance with the requirements. If the information is in accordance with the documentation, the attendant shall issue the certification signed and stamped for immediate approval to leave the country. If your tag is CL (Light Cargo) check for different application.

If the stamps were canceled by bank payment, (Entero Bancario) the counter attendant must register this payment in the system. The application as well as the documents presented will stay in the custody of the attendant for the respective scanning.
Delivery time

The delivery time of the document to allow the vehicle to leave the country is immediate, if you provide all the necessary requirements.

¢6682,50 Registro Nacional, Acuerdo J190, sesión 17-2012, 3 de Mayo de 2012
¢300,00 Registro Nacional
¢12,50 Fiscal
¢5,00 Archivo Nacional
Art. 2 Ley de Aranceles.

Affix the notary authentication stamps: ¢ 250.00 of the Bar if the request comes authenticated

The validity of the certification for the border crossing is 15 days for private vehicles in accordance with the provisions of Article

97 of Decree 26 883-J of the Rules of Organization of Public Registry of Personal Property.

In addition to the above requirements under Article 95 of the rules of organization of the Public Register of Personal Property, (Executive Decree No. 26883-J of 13/05/1998) the following is necessary to be eligible for the certification process of a vehicle leaving the country:

a) If the request to leave the country is made by the registered owner, he/she must present their original and valid identity card or identification document, matching the information in the registers. In case the number information of the identification is different than the one registered (like your old passport has a different number than your actual passport or you bought the car with your passport and now have a cedula de residencia), you must provide an affidavit deed with their respective security ticket (by your attorney/notary public), showing this is the same person who appears in the registers.

b) When the registered owner cannot come personally to request the departure of the vehicle, you can accomplish by an authorization, sending the application duly filled with the name and identification number of the registered owner, license plate number, destination and date of departure, and the request should contain full name and identification number of the authorized person, the signature of both, which should come authenticated by a notary public, with their official white seal and ink. In this case, you must pay the stamps for authentication.

c) If the vehicle belongs to a legal entity (a Corporation), the request has to be made by the legal representative of this legal entity, a certification no older than 2 months must show showing the registration of this representation. In case this power of attorney is readily available in the computerized database of the National Register, the officer shall perform such consultation and it is not necessary to supply such certification (note that a General Power of Attorney will be registered but a Special Power of Attorney might not be registered). In case the interested party presents several border crossings of the same legal entity, just one original power of attorney or a certified copy can be provided but all requests need to be presented at the same time.  When the power of attorney cannot present him/herself to request the document, this should be performed by a Special Power of Attorney, who together with the request should also present the certification of this special power of attorney that meet the established requirements of this document.

d) When the vehicle has a lien recorded in favor of a debt owed by a vehicle owner to a lender, the lien holder's authorization has to be provided and must be authenticated by a notary public stamp and white ink stamp of authentication. If the creditor is a legal entity (corporation), this authorization must be on letterhead paper and provide certification of the power of attorney with no more than two months in case this information is not available in the digitalized databases of the National Register.

e) In the event that several vehicles are on the same lien, you may indicate the details of the license plate numbers, as long as all requests are all on a single presentation.

f) If the vehicle has a judicial lien (embargo disposition, final embargo, collision, tickets, theft annotation or injury complaint) filed, this lien needs first to be canceled or in its defect the authorization of the authority needs to be provided.

g) If the vehicle is used for tourism, you need additionally a not from the ICT and proof of extraterritorial insurance from the insurance company.

h) If the vehicle is in the name of a "pensionado" or rentista", you need additionally the certification by the ICT (National Institute for Tourism) that stated that the Pensionado or Rentista is up to date with the obligations that this migratory status indicates.

 i) When the request to leave the country is done by a person with a special power of attorney, this person must provide the original special power with the respective "boleto de seguridad" where the person is expressly authorized for that act.

j) In case the vehicle is in co-ownership, the procedure must be performed by all owners, or in defect the same must provide an original special power of attorney for this act.

k) When the vehicle register shows a transfer annotation (faulty document), it is the buyer who has to perform the procedure, the declaration under oath or supplying the special power of attorney. If one of the defects are the stamps, the presentation expires after 3 months by the law or after expiring the annotation after one year the responsible person to proceed with the request is the registered owner. 

j) Vehicles with a CL (light cargo) license plate that are dedicated to international cargo business, must provide evidence of the Board of Transport indicating the license plate number, the owners' name and Customs Code of the vehicle as well as screen print of the "Tica" system required for cargo vehicles.

k) If the request for crossing the border is made by the borrower of a loan that is not shown in the National Register, a certified copy of the loan contract has to be signed and certified by both parties.

l) When the vehicle is registered in the name of a deceased person, the authorized person to perform the procedure is the executor who has to be correctly registered in the National Register.

m) In case the vehicle is registered in the name of a minor, the authorized person to perform the procedure is the person who holds the custody of the child, which has to be proved by a protocolized declaration under oath.

If the car is in your name, free and clear - no lien's or denuncios against it - you could be in and out in 20-30 minutes!!


No comments: