ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

VEHICLE TICKETS - How•Where to APPEAL•CHALLENGE Vehicle•Auto Tickets in Costa Rica

YIKES!!!  You got a ticket - but you want to APPEAL•CHALLENGE it.  Now what??

HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO CHALLENGE A TICKET I’VE RECEIVED?

10 BUSINESS days
(IF it was not extended)
(counting starting the day AFTER the ticket was issued)


@@@@@@@@@@@


WHERE DO I GO FOR TO APPEAL•CHALLENGE A TICKET I RECEIVED?

The appeal MUST be filed with the
Unidad de Impugnaciones de Boletas de Citación
at a COSEVI office
closest to where the infraction took place!! 
(this is a BIG DRAG if you got the ticket while you were driving somewhere not so close, a tourist, and/or on a weekend [doesn’t this practice open it up for the Transit Police to take bribes so you don’t have to deal with it?? ESPECIALLY since ticket in Costa Rica are OFTEN WAYYYY more expensive than in the U.S. I found when doing some research!!
FYI - the Transit Police are the ONLY Police that can give you a ticket involving a vehicle!!!])


COSEVI - Consejo de Seguridad Vial

LOCATION OF COSEVI OFFICES AROUND COSTA RICA
www.GobiernoFacil.go.cr/e-gob/gobiernodigital/licencias/donde.htm
(note you MUST have the www. first as their program didn't program it properly)

Guapiles
(located in the Limon Province - West of Limon towards San Jose)
2-710-4256 • 2-710-4258 • 2-710-4268
300 meters South/adjacent Transit Delegation to the Courts of Justice
(I've also seen - 250 meters South of Green Valley College)


Liberia
(located in the Guanacaste Province - on the North/West side of Costa Rica)
2-665-5203 • 2-666-4301 • 2-666-2095
400 meters West of Cane League • Adjacent to MOPT


Limon
(located in the Limon Province - on the Atlantic Coast side of Costa Rica)
2-798-1183 • 2-798-4961
Route 32 versus Celdaca campus or adjacent to or adjoining the platel Tracasa MOPT in Sandoval (I've also seen - 100 meters South of Tomas Guardia Esquela/School near MOPT)


Puntarenas
(located in the Puntarenas Province but on the Central Pacific Coast of Costa Rica)
2-663-7856
West•Oeste side of MOPT


San Carlos
(located in the Alajuela Province but near the Arenal - central part of Costa Rica)
2-460-2450 • 2-460-4665
 50 meters North/East of Esquela San Martin school - Adjacent to the Transit office


San Isidro de General • Perez Zeledon
(located in the San Jose Province but in the Southern Zone of Costa Rica)
2-771-5571
600 Meters South MOPT campus
(I've also seen 75 meters South of the Cemetery)


(San Jose) - La Uruca
(this office is the MAIN one for Costa Rica - located in the San Jose Province - in the Central Valley)
COSEVI is about 200 meters from the Shell gas station and about 100 meters West of the Banco Nacional on the main road through Uruca.

Enter through the gate

Go to the FIRST building on your Right as you enter

First go to the Information•Informacion desk
(the person at that desk MAY - or may NOT speak any English)
I don't have details on where to go from there as of now so you're on your own till I find out)


San Ramon
(located in the Alajuela Province - but heading West of San Jose - towards the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica)

 2-445-5937
225 meters east of the traffic lights of San Ramon Hospital
(I've also seen adjacent to San Ramon MOPT)


@@@@@@@@@@@


HOURS TO FILE AN APPEAL•CHALLENGE:

Monday-Friday - 7:30am - 3:30pm


@@@@@@@@@@@


WHAT’S THE PROCESS?
YOU (the person that received the ticket) are the ONLY one that can complete this process (their website says something that translate to - unless company comes authenticated by an attorney??)!!  NOTE that EVERYTHING is in Spanish so if your Español is limited and you don't have someone to bring to help you, there are usually people hanging around out front that speak some/lots of English that are happy to help you (for a NICE tip [depending on how important it is to you - I'd do at LEAST $20 for their assistance])

YOU must indicate in your application:
Full Name.
Card number (Drivers License number??).
Citation number•Number of ballot subpoena
Date of the ticket: 
Your reasons for contesting it.
PROOF of the reason.
Where you want to receive notification of the challenge: currently there are only 2 authorized ways:
Physical address (ONLY if the place is within a 2 kilometer radius of this office) - OR
By fax - to anywhere WITHIN Costa Rica.

You must also bring a Legible COPY of the ticket to leave with them.

In the case of minors, the dispute may be submitted by him, by their parents or legal representatives.


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


HELP!!!  I DON'T SPEAK ANY•MUCH SPANISH!!!  WHAT DO I DO??
 If your Español is limited/non-existent - you might SERIOUSLY consider taking someone with you that habla's Ingles y Español since it's ALL in Spanish!!! 
If you can not find anyone you trust to help you, you might consider hiring one of my English-Speaking Taxi Drivers I have listed at:
 LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com/2012/08/EnglishSpeakingTaxisCR.html
Depending on how complicated it is, I think they charge about $10-$15/hour (PLUS metered transportation rate and TIPS and I'd tip WELL as their job is to just drive you from Point A to Point B so they're going above and beyond to try to help save your tush!!!).

The main Red Taxi Driver's on my list that I HAVE used to help me translate basic things like this are:
Mauricio Flores • Jason Valverde • Jorge • Marlon • Rolando Vargas Montero

My MAIN guy I use is ABNER ARIAS - who is a legal Tourism Van Driver so he's a bit more ($15/hour) but he's worth it as he's LIVED in the U.S. and isn't afraid to ask questions some more timid Tico's don't like doing.  

ALL of these guys GET North American level of Customer Service!!
OR
Just like at border crossings - there are usually people THERE at COSEVI that are more than happy to help you - for a NICE TIP!!! 
How much is a "Nice Tip"??  I'd say it depends on what all they're helping you with and how long they're helping you for!  Lines in Costa Rica CAN last HOURS (though I find OFTEN [NOT always] when I go mid-week - like Tuesday or Wednesday - especially late morning [like 10am-12pm/noon] or Early Afternoon [like 1-2:30pm] I OFTEN find lines less - be it banks, ICE, etc).  If someone was helping me from start to finish I'd probably Gift them $20+ - ESPECIALLY if they're trying to save me a bunch of money!!!



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Has this DETAILED information been helpful to you - brought more ease into your life, saved you time and/or $$$/¢¢¢¢?

Please consider showing your appreciation for it by
making a
DONATION
to keep this detailed blog going!

The easiest/best way is PayPal!
Go to the top LEFT corner of the blog for details.

ANY amount is helpful since this is my ONLY source of "income" and FEW have ever donated!!!


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Share this post with anyone you know that has a car!!
LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com/2013/10/AppealingVehicleTicketCR.html
.



No comments: