ABOUT THE LIVING LIFE IN COSTA RICA BLOG

I (Vicki Skinner - aka "THE Sarong Goddess") created this blog in 2007 to share DETAILED Finds•Lists•Info•Events•Experiences to help bring more EASE to people living in, visiting or thinking of moving to Costa Rica since DETAILS are NOT easy to find!
I’m NOT an expert (an "expert" 2 ME knows 101%-NOT me). I believe in sharin info•helping where I can! And with over 2,200 entries, so some things might be out of date, so if you find old info PLEASE help each other by getting the updated info & sharing it with me to revise. At least you have some basic info to get you started.
VOLUNTEER TO HELP:
Better yet - do you have extra time on your hands & looking for a volunteer project? Since this blog is a labor of love & RARELY does anyone share a donation (even though MANY have said how much it's helped them), I could REALLY use help updating info. Spanish speakers ESPECIALLY welcome since my VicLish can be somewhat limited at times!!

DONATE:
Has my blog helped in any way? Helped find something•brought more EASE? More exposure or business?
I welcome you to show YOUR appreciation for my efforts!
ANY size DONATION is APPRECIATED!
(see below other ways to show your appreciation)
The easiest way is with PAYPAL - Attn: LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com
(you do NOT need to have a PayPal account to do this - just a credit or debit card)
ADD INFORMATION:
Do YOU have/know of a Business•Event•News•Place•Things 4 Sale•Rent to add? Email:
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com

OTHER WAYS TO SHOW YOUR APPRECIATION FOR THIS BLOG

• APPLE LAPTOP - Do you have a Laptop you're not using? Mine recently broke so I'm using a lender. Must be new enough to run current Skypes & have an SDCard slot.
• Amazon.com or GoDaddy.com Credit•Gift Certificate (attn: SarongGoddess@gmail.com)
• Something else to share?? A gift certificate or invite for your business? I'm open!! (at times I'll add other things here that I'm seeking)

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

CANES in Costa RIca - Hints on How to Pick a Walking Cane or Walking Stick and How to Use it

Did you know that MOST CANES (that people use to help them walk) in the world are made for people up to 6 feet tall??  And because of that, MANY people suffer LOTS of pain or potentially even hurt themselves.

BUT - there ARE some things you can do to make walking with a cane better for your body and cut down on pain and potential future damage to your body!

The key is in how the elbow is bent. 


WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP YOUR BODY WHEN USING A CANE?

The key is your elbow SHOULD ONLY be bent at a 15-20 degree angle.

Put your cane in front of you 5" with the bad leg/side down at the same time. Doing this takes 30-40% of the weight OFF the bad side.

Then cut the excess wood off.



WHAT TYPE OF CANE IS BEST?HOW TO PICK A CANE
 youtu.be/CZLq0eC_qxM
 youtube.com/watch?v=8nvPeXIglI8

My bud Mel Goldberg (a retired doctor specializing in physical medicine and rehabilitation.  He inspired me to write this blog entry when he was walking on the street and saw 2 people walking with canes that were not using it properly) feels the ADJUSTABLE Metal Canes are best.  You can get them in Costa Rica


My friend Audrey SWEARS by her HurryCane.com (a quad•all-terrain cane) though I doubt you can walk in and buy one in Costa Rica so you'll have to get someone to bring it for you.  They're great as they an "all terrain cane" meaning it basically "molds"/flexes to the environment it is in - which to me - with ALL the bad sidewalks and streets in Costa Rica (and one that's fallen a LOT from not watching EVERY step I take) - I think this feature is CRUCIAL!!!!  AND it's adjustable AND they fold down so they're MEGA portable and lightweight!!   If I find where to get one here I'll post the info (and if you do - PLEASE e- me the details at LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com)


I have seen some COOL wood canes at the Artisan Mercado in San Jose!  Perhaps you can get them to make you one (or at least you can find a pretty one!!)?!?!?!


HOW TO WALK WITH A CANE
 youtu.be/fRn8ZZJMzno


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@


Anyone have leads on some good places to
FIND WALKING CANES and STICKS
in Costa Rica???

Either post them under "Comments" below or email me at
LivingLifeInCostaRica@gmail.com



@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@



LivingLifeInCostaRica.blogspot.com/2013/11/CanesInCR.html

.

No comments: